threadtime

A journal of quilting, sewing and otherwise creating.

Brasilia Dress

8 Comments

Rachal of House of Pinheiro

Working on the Brasilia dress by Rachal at House of Pinheiro.  Think I’m going to love working with this pattern.  Very few pieces, which is always nice and the pattern itself is beautifully done.  The trickiest part is the sharp curve at the sides.  Loads of pins and going slow solves that problem.

This will belong to my daughter who has measurements close to the pattern.  I made the original ‘muslin’ from the pattern “as is”.    Since Katie is a few inches shorter than the pattern is drafted, I expected to make some changes.  The muslin is made out of a fabric with 3% stretch.

Sure enough the muslin needs quite a bit taken off the length at the waist.  I also made a small full bust adjustment on the pattern with the intent of giving Katie a smidge more room in the bust and to bring it in a tad at the waist.  The back has me worried.  These pics show 2″ pulled out of the back and the zip is still buckling.  I will make one more muslin before moving to the real thing.   Ignore the length…I left extra length below the hem and haven’t even tested length yet.  (Sorry for the poor photo quality.  We were shooting these in bad light and in a hurry.)

DSC_0185_1130DSC_0186_1131

I had intended to use something with a little stretch as Rachal did with the original, but I keep going back to one of Rachal’s inspirational photos.   I love the dress at bottom right.

60sDresses

I can just see this dress in a light wool.  Oddly enough, Katie came home with a piece of wool a couple of years ago and wanted a dress out of it.  At the time I thought it was a bit too heavy, but I may have to pull it back out for another look.  I really want to put a flat ‘belt’ in the place of the bow on this photo.  We’ll see.

Today, I’ve been tearing  cleaning up my sewing room, so there hasn’t been a log of sewing going on.   I’m ready to get back to it.  Why can’t sewing rooms clean themselves?!

Related pics and posts:

http://theseedsof3.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/the-brasilia-dress-a-pattern-testing-adventure/

About these ads

Author: ThreadTime

Sewing is good for the soul ... unless a seam ripper is involved.

8 thoughts on “Brasilia Dress

  1. I’m a bit tall so I expect that’s going to happen to a lot of people. wool would look amazing on this pattern. Xx

  2. Looking forward to seeing the finished dress, looks like a great pattern. I love the inspirational images, so classic.

  3. In the back, I would first adjust for broad back, and then take out some of the length. For the back, I often just slash the muslin (one leg of the slash to the shoulder and one to the center back seam) where it is pulling to determine how much extra room I need.

    • Good tip. Since I’m giving her a little more room with the FBA, I’ll wait to make those changes after the next muslin fit. I hope to get that done this weekend. I’m ready to work on the real thing! :-D Thanks for the tip.

  4. Your muslin looks very similar to mine – not that I have any pictures. But I had to take out a good 2″, which usually I have to add length to the torso area. Looking forward to seeing your dress if you do make it with the wool – which will be fabulous BTW.

    • Thanks for stopping by. I’ll be making Katie’s first dress out of stretch cotton…I just can’t get a good fit with the FBA. I’m still playing with it and plan for the wool in the future. Luckily, my younger daughter fits in the original alterations I made, so she will get the first dress. Maybe in a royal baby wale corduroy. Not what I originally envisioned, but I would like to have a finished version by the pattern review deadline! Luckily, this dress is pretty fun and easy to put together, so the frustration is kept to a minimum. :-)

  5. Thanks for stopping by. I’ll be making Katie’s first dress out of stretch cotton…I just can’t get a good fit with the FBA. I’m still playing with it and plan for the wool in the future. Luckily, my younger daughter fits in the original alterations I made, so she will get the first dress. Maybe in a royal baby wale corduroy. Not what I originally envisioned, but I would like to have a finished version by the pattern review deadline! Luckily, this dress is pretty fun and easy to put together, so the frustration is kept to a minimum. :-)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 120 other followers