This has been a busy weekend. Too busy for one post.
Friday, I drove 90 miles (with a migraine!) to pick up a Singer 301 and this baby…
More on that in my next post. (I’m so excited to have found her!)
I finished putting up insulation in an aluminum shed that I hope to convert to a sewing room. (Has anyone done that? and were you successful in controlling the damp??)
I kept my grandson most of the day Saturday :-D.
I FINALLY finished quilting my Dick and Jane that I stared so long ago. You can actually see some of the original posts here and here. Now for a label and the binding, and I’m DONE! I will be glad to get this off my table.
The interesting thing about this quilt for me is the difference in the quilting done at the start and at the end. I can really see the improvement in my quilting. I still have a lot of work to do mind you, but still, I’m proud to have finished it. This is an 80″ x 80″ quilt. She was something to handle, let me tell you.
And there is still so much that I haven’t gotten to!!
I finally got back to my Dick and Jane quilt! I’ve pieced the back as shown to the left. Not a great photo. This is a pretty big quilt for me. The front measures 80 x 80 and the back is 85 x 85.
The quilt front was blogged here. Now it’s time to decide how I want to quilt it. Hmmm. 😦
I’ve posted on Angela Walters’ forum here hoping for some tips. She has an awesome blog, QuiltingIsMyTherapy. If I were to say one person turned me on to modern quilting, it would be Angela. I just love the way she quilts.
When Kelly of KelbySews introduced her Precious QAL, I thought of my Dick n Jane fabric by Michael Miller. It definitely isn’t one of those fabrics precious to all, but I had to have it when it first came out. To show my age, I remember using these readers in first and second grade.
I had to dig out the quilt magazines with those patterns just to remember how old the fabric was! It must have come out about Spring 2007. Been sitting on my shelves a while! At the time I didn’t really care for the patterns that were introduced for the line and never cut into the fabric.
When I posted the fabrics on the Precious QAL Flickr group and asked for pattern suggestions “OregonSurfers” on Flicker suggested the Patchwork Chevron by Jeni of In Color Order . That was actually a pattern I had pulled to work on in the future, so I liked the idea. A few of the figures in the fabric needed to be pieced so they matched the 5″ block in the nine patch. Once that was done, I got busy putting this together. I finished the quilt top today. Yaaaaayyyyy!
Now to figure what to do for the backing. I have larger character blocks that I would like to work into a base fabric. I’m looking at something like the Pezzy Print. I like the Pezzy Magic Beans as well, and also think Sketch will work.
Plan to have this finished before next Precious QAL linky. Guess I had better order fabric!